Friday, August 10, 2012

Cooking at home

My family knows how to cook. My mom can make the best anything, same goes for my dad and brothers. I honestly don't know if there's anything they've made that I don't like! That doesn't mean we eat like kings and queens every night though, however we always ate at home more than most people I know. It always shocked me how so many people never cook at home with their family. Eating a homecooked meal (not from a box) is surprisingly  rare it seems. I just couldn't understand this.
This is all coming from a girl who's been homeschooled her whole life. My family had time to cook at home. Now that I have a job and go to school, I understand how hard it is to cook at home sometimes. Sometimes the last thing you want to do is come home and cook after a long day of working and freaking out! Thankfully my mom still cooks amazing meals so I get leftovers.
Now while I haven't been eating out too much either, I usually just don't eat til I get home, the thing is I miss having meals with my family. I miss spending all day on Saturdays and Sundays cooking a great meal and relaxing, enjoying one another's company and then feasting on amazing food. Sharing love and comfort with each other. Food is almost always the center point of any gathering for a reason, it brings people together. It's a sign of love. Cook something for someone and they will feel loved. Not only does good food make people happy and feel good, but it is a sign of nurishment. It makes me sad that not everyone gets to have that.
We're so caught up in our busy lifestyles that slowing down for one afternoon can be tough. I now understand how hard it can be for many people to do this, but I strongly encourage them to try and make the time. Invite friends and family over and just relax and enjoy. Cook some good food, have others bring their own food, share recipes and stories and have fun! Food brings people together and makes anything more special.
Have a great weekend everyone and cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment