Saturday, February 9, 2013

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Ravioli

Who else just wants to bundle up and watch movies today?

I'm sure i'm not the only one, especially with that giant storm sweeping over the north.

This is why I live in Texas, where my idea of a cold day is 50 degrees. I'm a wimp I know.

I just don't like the cold. My body can't handle it. 



Lucky for me though I know how to cook some yummy food to help keep me warm.

This ravioli is one of those things.


This ravioli almost didn't happen though. 

Laziness almost won and I almost just went to pick something up for dinner.

Thankfully I I changed my mind at the last second and decided to go make these. 

Because they were good. Very good.


Hot, gooey, and cheesy.

I'll just leave it at that.


Ravioli is so easy to make but it's so good. It's one of those dishes that looks hard to prepare and impresses people, all the while you just smile and take the praise knowing in your mind you whipped it up in a snap.

Making the dough from scratch does take a little more time, but it is well worth the effort.


Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Ravioli

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

1 recipe fresh pasta dough here

Filling

1/2 cup goat cheese
1/4 smoked gouda
1 tbls olive oil
1  medium onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic
garlic salt to taste

Sauce

4 tbls butter
1 tbls flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup smoked cheddar cheese

Directions

To make the filling combine goat cheese, and gouda in a small mixing bowl.
Place your onion in a medium saucepan with the oil. Cook until just starting to caramelize, about 5-10 minutes. Add in your garlic and cook for another minute.
Once the garlic and onion are cooked transfer to the bowl with your cheeses and stir to combine. Season with garlic salt to taste, and set aside.

Set a medium pot full of water over high heat and bring to a boil.(Remember to always salt your water when cooking pasta) Meanwhile, using a pasta roller, roll out your dough thin, to your desired ravioli liking. Cut circles using a cookie cutter and carefully spoon your filling mixture onto one side. Fold the other half over the filling sealing the ravioli. Go back again with a fork to help seal it very well, they will open up and then you have ravioli filling all up in your boiling pasta water. Once all the ravioli are sealed, put all of it into the boiling salted water. Cook until al dente, about 5-7 minutes. Strain the ravioli, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.

To make the sauce melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add in flour to make a roux. You don't want to cook it to much, it will be a white sauce. Lower heat to low and add in Cream. Stir to combine, then add in cheese until melted.

Add the ravioli to the sauce and serve immediately.



**As I almost always say with recipes I made myself, I didn't measure! Trust your instincts when cooking this**

No comments:

Post a Comment