Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Best Breakfast Tacos in Austin - Austin City Guide



I was ecstatic when I found out I got picked to find the best breakfast tacos in Austin for the Austin Food Bloggers City Guide. Breakfast tacos are definitely an "Austin thing", but for as long as I can remember they were one of the breakfast of choices on my family's list. If ever we were going to wake up early and go on a trip or wherever we were going, we would always stop to get breakfast tacos. 

Here's the thing though. I didn't always like breakfast tacos. 

WHAT?! 

Yes, I know... I'm ashamed to say I didn't realize how great they truly are until I got older. When I was little I wouldn't eat anything for breakfast except cereal. Sad I know.

So while my family chowed down on yummy breakfast tacos I would sit there disgusted at the thought. Once I finally realized how amazing they are though, I started getting serious about it. There's breakfast tacos and then there are breakfast tacos.The good breakfast tacos. Tacos done right!

Not everyone can accomplish this, but I feel like the places i've been actually did pretty good.

 Now i'll be honest, I wasn't able to go and try out every single little taco shop/foodtruck/restaurant/bakery you name it, that sells breakfast tacos here in Austin. I think that might actually be impossible.

But, I was able to find some really great places to get some really great breakfast tacos. And if I missed any, feel free to leave a comment telling me! I would love to find more great breakfast tacos here in Austin.

Now into a little further detail, what makes a good breakfast taco you ask? Well, here's my opinion on the matter. I like the simple no frills potato, egg, sausage and cheese taco. The cheesier the better. I like there to be a good amount of each ingredient, not too much egg, not too much potato, but just enough of each to get a little bit of every flavor in each bite.

Salsa also plays a big part of it. I'm very picky about my salsa, and i'm disappointed to say none that I got really blew me away. I'll eat it, but if I can get some good stuff i'll bring it with me.

This list is in no particular order. With the exception of 2. Kens and Juan and a Million.

9408 Dessau Rd Austin, TX

2300 East Cesar Chavez Street
Austin, TX 78702
(512) 472-3872


These 2 places were probably my favorite. Lets start out with Ken's though. Ken's has an advantage as it's a tradition in my family. For as long as I can remember my family has always loved this place, and it's been one of our favorite breakfast tacos ever. Hands down. Not only are they good, but they are HUGE! You definitely get your money's worth at this little hole in the wall place.

Now onto Juan and a Million, this taco was just good. Plain and simple good. Healthy? Far from it, but hey go somewhere else for healthy. We're talking about the best breakfast tacos not the healthiest. Cheesy and made with ground beef instead of regular chunks, these tacos were true tex-mex breakfast tacos which I loved.

Here are some more delicious tacos you should definitely check out! Again, in no particular order.

5003 Airport Blvd
Austin, TX 78751
(512) 453-9842

Several locations

El Taco Rico
810 Vargas Rd
Austin, TX 78741

The Vegan Nom
120 E N Lp-B
Austin, TX 78751
(For any vegans or vegetarians wanting some tacos definitely check this place out!)

Ross's Old Austin Cafe
11800 N. Lamar #6
Austin, 78753-2145

La Mexicana Bakery
1924 South First Street
Austin, Texas 78704


So that's it guys! Hope ya'll liked it, let me know what ya'll think! Let me know if i'm missing any and what you're favorite place to get breakfast tacos is! Plus what you're favorite type of breakfast taco is, what you like on it! 






http://austinfoodbloggers.org/city-guide/

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for being a part of the City Guide, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. El Primo on S. 1st NEEDS to be on this list! You should definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh i'll definitely have to try that out! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Mi Victoria on North Loop & Burnet make great tacos for the times when the Tamale House is closed (Sundays)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's much closer to where I live than Tamale House, i'll have to give that a try! Thanks :)

      Delete