Thursday, February 28, 2013

Caramelized Onion and Carrot Soup

Hello hello everyone! 

I'm still excited about writing about the best breakfast tacos in Austin for the Austin City Guide! Ah, I feel so honored. 

That being said though, I feel like I didn't do it enough justice. Of course no matter what I do, or how good I do something, i'm always going to say that, as I am somewhat of a perfectionist. A lazy perfectionist. 




Lazy as in, I know i'll regret not taking these extra steps to make something a little better, but to hell with it i'm done. 

Or lazy as in I woke up early intending to workout this morning, but yeah that didn't happen.

You know what though? I'm learning to be okay with stuff like that. As long as I don't complain about it, i'm good. 

I've worked out everyday for a week, and I have to work a double shift today so it's okay if I didn't work out this morning. And those cupcakes I made still look beautiful even if I didn't take a few extra steps! 

Optimism guys!


Anyway, since i'm being lazy here's a rather very easy recipe for a rather very delicious soup for this cold dreary day.

This recipe came about as I had a ton of cut up carrots. Anyone who's ever gone to culinary school probably had the same problem as me, you practice your knife cuts and end up with a ton of cut up vegetables you don't know what to do with. 

Well, here's something you can do with them!



Practice your cuts on carrots, cut up a potato and onion as well, throw it into a pot and make some magic!

Caramelized Onion and Carrot Soup

(Recipe adapted from The Tomato Tart)

Ingredients

1-2 tbls olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 pounds carrots, chopped
1 large yukon gold potato, chopped
1 cup beef broth
2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dried parsley

Directions

Over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions in a medium pot. Let the onions caramelize, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes. Once onions are caramelized add in the garlic, carrots and potato. Let cook for 1 minute then add in the beef and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cook until all the vegetables are tender. 
Once tender, using an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy. 
Sprinkle in the parsley, stir to combine, and serve!

**Notes: When cooking soup try and make all your vegetables even size so they all cook evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment