Saturday, April 13, 2013

Saag Paneer and My Adventure Speaking at UT

So the other day I got an email that really just amazed me.

I sat there for a moment in silence like, "Is this real?"

Keep in mind that every time I get an email for something because of this blog I get really giddy, but this particular invite was really cool in my opinion.



A writing professor at the University of Texas emailed and asked me to come speak to his opinion writing class. 

Yeah. I'm 17, attending ACC, and I got asked to come speak at a UT class. That's not awesome at all. 

I was shocked and nervous. I have a little bit of a fear of speaking in public and i'd heard of a lot of UT classes being between 200-300 students! That's not scary.

Luckily for me however the class was very small, holding only 13 students, so it wasn't bad at all. I walked in acting all confident and tried my best not to sound like a blubbering idiot. Which i'm pretty sure I did, especially considering I was alongside the lovely Natalie Paramore from Food Fetish who killed it!

But overall it was a great experience for me.


Right after I had gotten asked I was considering not going because I was scared to talk in public, but then I realized just because of that I had too.

It scared the hell out of me, therefore I couldn't pass it up. I had to face my fears.


And i'm so glad I did. 

Meeting Natalie and the professor was really fun, and it was cool talking to everyone about my blog. It felt like an interview more than anything.

I just have to say I was very honored to be asked to speak to the class, especially alongside such an amazing blogger as Natalie!


Anyway, besides talking to UT students about my blog, school has been going good, and I recently made this delicious dish! After seeing this recipe on food network from the spice goddess I knew I had to make it. Broccoli and pan fried cheese. Please give me more!


Saag Paneer

(Recipe adapted from The Spice Goddess)

Ingredients

2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
2 cups chopped fresh rapini
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus more for frying the paneer
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Pinch salt
1 cup cubed paneer (Indian cheese)**

Directions

Steam the broccoli, rapini and spinach in a stovetop steamer until they are bright green and tender, and then set aside. 

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garam masala, fenugreek seeds, and salt and stir well to toast. Stir in the steamed greens and let simmer for 5 minutes. 

Heat another nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Add the cubed paneer to the hot oil and cook until golden, turning frequently. Stir the paneer into the spinach mixture and serve with rice.

**I didn't have paneer, the closest thing I found to it was queso fresco, but while trying to pan fry it it stuck to the pan, so I would definitely suggest real paneer for the recipe. Queso fresco was still wonderfully delicious though!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good and you make me think I could make it. I'm going to give it a try. I'm enjoying your blog very much. No wonder you got invited to UT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you just made my day! Haha, thank you so much! :)

      Delete