Monday, April 22, 2013

Split Pea and Avocado Soup for Earth Day

Happy earth day everyone!





I'll be honest, I've never really celebrated earth day. It's not that I don't love the earth, I do trust me, but I just never really thought about it. It's one of those holidays I never knew was a thing until 2 weeks after and someone happens to mention something about it.

Don't judge me.

But in honor of mother earth here is a very earthy healthy soup recipe!


I love my mom's split pea soup, it's seriously one of my favorite soups of all time.

Every time she makes it I end up eating almost the entire thing in about, ehh, 2 days?

Don't judge me, it's healthy psh.


The other day though I thought i'd try making it with some avocados we had laying around the house too. Best idea of the week right there. 

I really don't think there's anything that doesn't get better by adding avocado in it. Avocado's just make everything better. Cakes, soups, tacos, it's all good.


So for Earth Day, or meatless Monday, or just a delicious dinner why not try this soup?


Split Pea and Avocado Soup

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

Ingredients

1 lb split peas
1 tbls olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
32 ounces chicken broth
2 cups water
2 avocados, diced
juice from half a lime
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat, then add onion and cook until translucent. Add in garlic and split peas and cook for 1 minutes. Add in the chicken broth and water, bring to a boil, cover pot and lower heat to a simmer. Cook until peas are soft, about 15-20 minutes. 
Add in the diced avocados and lime juice, season to taste and serve hot!
Garnish with extra avocado if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment