Sunday, April 7, 2013

Texas Honey Pecan Cookies


I'll be honest, I used to hate spring.

It's not quite hot yet, but it's not cold either. Plus the rain just makes it humid all the time and my hair does not like that one bit.




But I have to say, now I see the light. Spring is amazing. Although I do prefer the weather to be either really hot or really cold, spring brings flowers and makes everything so green and pretty. I love it.

It's kind of like Texas culture. When I was younger I always wanted to move somewhere else, like Seattle or New Hampshire. Somewhere cold and rainy. I wanted to get away. I always had Texas pride, but some of our culture I never really appreciated.

Things like peaches, tex-mex, pecans, salsa. There's so much to love that I would miss!

I mean you just can't get that stuff anywhere else that's as good as it is here.


And that's kind of how these cookies came about. Sort of.

I feel like i've been on a pecan kick lately. I mean, seriously pecans are so good! Texas recently just made pecan pie the national state dessert! That's how good they are.


But to be honest, no matter whether you live in Texas or anywhere else these cookies really are a great treat. Sweet and simple to make, your family will love them!

Texas Honey Pecan Cookies

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

Ingredients

1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbls honey
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup + 2 tbls AP flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 cup chopped pecans

Glaze

1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp milk
2 tsp honey

Directions

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a bowl sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a stand mixer combine butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla and mix to incorporate. Add in honey and mix. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until well mixed together. Gently fold in pecans.
Line a baking sheet with foil, and drop cookie dough into balls. Place in freezer for 10 minutes then bake for 9-12 minutes or until just starting to brown on edges.

To make glaze combine all ingredients and whisk together with a fork until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment