Thursday, June 6, 2013

Kale Feta Spanakopita


"It takes me awayyyy, takes me aWAYyy takes me awayyy!"

Ok, maybe my singing isn't the best, but I can just leave it to the professionals.




Like the ever amazing band Milo Greene. Never heard of them? Check them out!

I hadn't been to a concert in way too long until I saw them last night at the Parish downtown. Let me tell you, they were a great way to get back into the concert scene. 

Opened by a band, from Austin Texas, called Blue Bear who did an amazing job getting everyone pumped up! I'll be honest, I'd never heard of them before but after the show I'll definitely be listening to there stuff from now on.


The show was fun, the music was great, and the people were so nice. Milo Greene stood at their merch table both before and after the show to take pictures with everyone, which I thought was a nice personal touch on their part. 

I have a feeling they'll go pretty far in their music careers.

I highly recommend you check them out Here. I've posted a link to one of their more popular songs. 


Now before you go to a concert you need a little snack to tide you over. I mean, concerts can be exhausting! 

So why not spanakopitas? It has kale which is a superfood so naturally you can eat all of them and not have to worry about it!


The phyllo dough did give me some troubles though. I've never worked with it before so I ended up tearing most of it, but it still tasted great. Psh, it has cheese and dough in it, how can it not be good?



Kale Feta Spanakopita

(Recipe adapted from Food 52)

Ingredients

Phyllo dough
5 kale leaves
1/2 onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup feta cheese
garlic salt to taste
butter for brushing


Directions

Preheat the oven to 425F.
Chop and blanch the kale, mix it with cheese, onion, garlic, oregano, and garlic salt. To assemble, layer 2 sheets of phyllo dough, brush with melted butter, and slice it into 5 vertical strips. Place a teaspoon of filling at the bottom of each strip and roll it up, flag-style. Repeat the process until you run out of filling. Brush the tops with butter and sprinkle some more garlic salt on top. 
Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden. 

**Notes: I didn't do the whole flag shaped Spanakopita's, instead I used a shortcut and just wrapped them in squares.
The recipe calls to bake for 20 minutes but mine were ready in about 10. I recommend just watching it carefully so as not to burn them.

No comments:

Post a Comment