Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sarah's Picks: A few of my favorite restaurants

So with the Austin City Guide coming out recently, I was inspired by all the great and interesting posts. Mine was on the best breakfast tacos in Austin, but after having eaten out a lot lately at some truly amazing restaurants, I really wanted to talk about some of my favorite with you all. I mean, these places just took my breath away with their food.

And for all you out of towner's here for SXSW I strongly urge you to check these places out before you leave!




Barley Swine
2024 S Lamar Boulevard., Austin, Texas
512-394-8150


I have to admit, Barley Swine is probably my absolute favorite restaurant here in Austin. Now this may be because the chef, Bryce Gilmore, is one of my culinary heroes and very nicely agreed to answer a few questions for me, which can be found here. But the food is certainly amazing.

(Chicken Fried Chicken Egg)

Every dish you get at Barley Swine has been created to perfection. All the chefs there are extremely talented and their passion for food shows. There's an obvious care for the food and ingredients that are used at the Barley Swine, which all come from local farmers.

(The Bacon Plate with Hoe Cakes and Crispy Brussell Sprouts)

The presentation of the food is artistic and modern and the flavor is out of this world amazing. My favorite thing I tried was the chicken fried chicken egg, a very creative and unique dish!
Barley Swine is as the name says specializing in beer and pig. This gastropub is everything you want on a night out and I cannot wait to go back again!

(Grilled Carrot Cake with Carrot Ice Cream)

The pastry chef was also very generous with me and my friend, after talking to the bartender/waitress and having mentioned we were in culinary school the pastry chef gave us an extra dessert on the house! It was absolutely delicious!

(Chocolate Mousse with Marshmallows)

Fogo De Chao

309 E. 3rd St., Austin, TX 78701
T: (512) 472.0220

For any carnivores or meat lovers, you must check out Fogo De Chao. This is buffet style eating gone gourmet. Fogo De Chao is a Brazilian steakhouse serving up fresh gaucho style meats and serving it right to you at your table.
When I went I was very impressed with not only the food but also the staff. Whatever you wanted they would get it for you. They make sure all your food is cooked to your liking, that you're comfortable and you never run out of anything. 5 star service along with 5 star food.
The food itself was to die for. Seriously, this place is a carnivores dream. With so many great meats to choose from, not to mention an unlimited salad bar filled with the freshest vegetables, cheeses, and salads, and unlimited side dishes that they constantly bring to you, it's heaven.
The only problem I had there was choosing what to put in my mouth next!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures here, as there was so much and the style was presented in a way I completely forgot about taking pictures, but just imagine delicious looking meats and your golden!


Chez Nous

510 Neches Street
Austin, Texas 78701

Chez Nous is an Austin landmark serving up some of the best French food around! A small restaurant downtown, it really does make you feel at home, as the name says.

(Creamy Cauliflower Soup)

For $28.50 I was able to get my choice of either a soup or salad, an entree, and a dessert. Not a bad price for everything you are getting! Especially when you see the quality of the food.

(My entree, I cannot remember the name but it was amazing! Fish in a sauce with mushrooms)

While i've never been to France, I could easily picture this food being deemed "authentic french" cuisine. I was very impressed and definitely hope to go back again soon! Especially for their chocolate mousse. Chez Nous know's what they're doing when it comes to the chocolate mousse, I'll just leave it at that.

(Chocolate Mousse)

Uchiko

4200 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX
(512) 916-4808

Uchiko is another local and sustainable believing restaurant, getting all their products from sustainable and reputable suppliers.

(Crunchy Spicy Tuna Hand Roll)

The food is phenomenal. You can taste the freshness and quality in every bite!
While most people go to Uchiko for the sushi and there was one thing I tried that really stood out for me. The pork ribs in sweet chili sauce. Maybe it's just the Texas coming out in me, but the ribs were heavenly. I would go back just for that!
If you are looking for some seafood though, check out the crunchy spicy tuna hand roll. Hands down my favorite roll I tried.
Another bonus? Go there between 5:00PM and 6:30PM and eat off the Sake Social menu! Try out lots of different dishes at a discount price!

I would've taken more pictures here but the lighting was so dark as you can see most didn't come out good.

So these are just a few of my current favorites i've been to lately! I'm hoping to continue trying out all the best restaurants and food trucks here in Austin, so let me know of some that I just have to try!
What are ya'lls favorites? Where are the local underground unheard of places I need to check out?

Have a wonderful spring break SXSW everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment