Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Curry Roasted Coconut Cauliflower

I may only be in the beginner classes in culinary school, but we cook up some good food!

Simple, but good.



Last week one of my class mates was assigned to make this dish, which was so good! By far it was my favorite dish of the day.

So simple and with few ingredients, but it packs tons of flavor.


I had been assigned to make stir fried baby bok choy that day, which just happened to be the first time i've ever had bok choy. 

It wasn't bad I gotta admit! But this is coming from a complete veggie lover, so there's really no surprise there. 


Blanch, water bath, stir fry with some garlic and ginger, then add some Hoisin sauce. That's some good eatin' right there folks!

But I still preferred this cauliflower. 


In class they used curry powder instead of garam masala, which I really wish I had done but since I didn't have any curry powder here at home I had to make do. 

The garam masala had a really great flavor, it was just a tad too spicy for me. I don't tolerate spicy foods very well, I hate that burning sensation in my mouth, i'm a wimp I know, but I did enjoy the flavor so I ate this anyway!

Next time i'm definitely using curry powder instead though!


Curry Roasted Coconut Cauliflower


Ingredients

1 head cauliflower
1 tbls olive oil, or as needed
1 tbls garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 can coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 400F. Quarter the cauliflower and break into small pieces. Line a baking sheet with foil and place cauliflower on the pan. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle with seasonings and mix to evenly coat all the pieces. Place in oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through to promote even browning. 
Meanwhile place the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until cauliflower is done. 
Once cauliflower is done add to coconut milk and coat all the pieces evenly. 
Plate and serve!

2 comments:

  1. Not all curries are spicy-hot—and they use different mixes of spices, not necessarily curry powder. Try the many flavors of indian curry recipes from Urban Rajah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a very interesting website! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete