Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Shepherds Pie (Cottage Pie)

Even though it's still hot outside, when September rolls around I start thinking fall and holidays. I get antsy waiting for cooler weather and even more for the warming comfort food! Shepherds pie is one of those comfort foods.

It's simple to make and delicious! Meaty, cheesy, potatoey, and hey throw on some bread crumbs too and you've got all the best foods in one delicious pie!

Although it might not be too figure friendly, it'll definitely help warm you up in the winter!

This was my first time making shepherds pie and I must say it came out pretty damn good. I didn't really follow any specific recipe, just kinda threw in what looked good, and asked my mom to sort of guide me a little. She was hesitant knowing how I am in the kitchen. Prone to start yelling and breaking down at any mistake I make. BUT she helped! Thank you mom!

I don't measure really in my cooking so sorry for the lack of measuring, but here is the ingredient list!

Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

For the potatoes

Potatoes of choice
Garlic salt
Butter (Lots of it)
Sour Cream
Milk
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
For the Filling

Olive Oil
Ground Beef
1 Onion
Garlic Cloves
Garlic Salt
Worcestershire
Tomato Paste
Beef Stock
Parmesan
Flour
The potatoes are easiest, just boil your potatoes mash em' up with the rest of the ingredients.

The Filling isn't hard either. Pre-heat oven to350.  Pour some olive oil in a skillet and start caramelizing your onions. After they've cooked and are soft and translucent add in your garlic for a few minutes then add in the beef. completely cook the meat and then add some beef stock, not too much you don't want it to be runny, and the rest of your ingredients. Add the flour a tablespoon at a time until it's to your favored consistency. Not too runny, but still moist. Pour the filling into a pie or casserole dish, top with mashed potatoes, grate sharp cheddar on top and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Switch oven to broiler and broil until cheese gets brown and crispy.

Take out and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment