Saturday, November 17, 2012

Boozy Chocolate Pecan Pie

It's amazing how much life can change in 1 year. I keep looking back at what I was doing this same time last year and it seems like that was years ago! I was a completely different person doing completely different things! 

For instance, all my friends were in highschool and love was my biggest priority. I was running almost 6 miles a day and hardly ate anything unhealthy except on my one cheat day. I wasn't the closest with my family and I never spent as much time with them as I should have. 



Now, 1 year later, most of my friends are in college and what i'm going to do with my life and college are my main priorities. I run the stairs almost everyday instead of running outside and I eat cake or some sort of dessert almost every night. My family are my best friends and I spend as much time with them as I can.

These changes are all for the good. Although, i'm not sure how healthy it is to be eating cake everyday... but like I said I run the stairs everyday so it's all good! 

I've definitely become a stronger over the past year as well and i've gained confidence I never thought I would. I'm happier than I used to be. Why shouldn't I be? 

I am thankful for everyone and everything in my life. I have been so blessed and I try my hardest to let people know that. It's the holiday season and it's time to start giving back and giving thanks. 

And what better way to find something to be thankful for than by baking a delicious boozy chocolate pecan pie?

A vodka crust and whiskey filling will make you feel greatful instantly! Top it with some fresh homemade whip cream and show others you love them!


I adapted the filling from the amazing Paula Deen, the only difference I made was adding 4 ounces of German Sweet Chocolate, because you can never have too much chocolate. The pie crust is from Pass The Sushi. Two amazing women in cooking so go check out their recipes!


Boozy Chocolate Pecan Pie

Filling


1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
2 cups pecan halves
3 large eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons good-quality bourbon
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cover bottom of pie crust with pecans.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, sugar, bourbon and the chopped chocolate. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour mixture into the pie shell over the pecans and place on a heavy-duty cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes or until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.




Pie Dough


3 cups flour
1 tbs sugar
1 teas fine salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter
1/4 cup vodka
2/4 cup water

Directions

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour sugar and salt.
Dice the butter into small cubes and toss into the flour mixture. Coat. Pour into a food processor and pulse until the butter has broken up into the size of small hazelnuts.
Through the feed tube, drizzle the vodka into the flour mixture running the processor for 4 second bursts. Follow up with the water.  As soon as the dough starts to hold together, scrape down sides and knead into a ball.
Divide in half. Flatten each portion into a disk and wrap in parchment paper and then wrap in plastic wrap. Place dough in fridge for at least one hour or freeze for up to one month. Thaw before proceeding with recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment