Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cake

I take words and meanings very seriously. So if I say something honestly, I really mean it. 
Like "love" or "hate". If I say I love you, I really do. 

I don't do the whole "oh I just met you I love you" thing. Just not my style.

I like things to have meaning when I say them.


So when I say this cake is one of the best i've ever made, i'm not kidding around here. 

It was moist and fluffy, light yet dense. Chocolatey and creamy, sweet and crunchy.


After I made this cake everyone who tried it just wanted me to make it again and bake more! 

This cake I didn't even take to work and it still was gone within several days.

I was very worried when making it that the marshmallow filling would be too hard and unedible, but it was my favorite part! Getting a bite of rich chocolate cake, sweet light whip cream and crunchy chewy marshmallow was just an experience like no other...

Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake Recipe
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

Ingredients:


Butter, for greasing the pans
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups good cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.

Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.

Marshmallow Filling:

The filling is really easy, just line a pan with 16 marshmallows and set under the broiler until desired burntness. Carefully watch as they burn fast. Immediately put on cake. 

Whip Cream Frosting:

2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons whiskey

Directions:
With the wire whisk attachment whip heavy cream for several minutes then slowly add in sugar, whiskey, and vanilla. Whip until it forms peaks but not too stiff. Refrigerate until ready to use.

To assemble place one piece of cake onto a plate and spread your marshmallow filling on it. Place second layer on top and then frost with whip cream frosting.

(Notes: The marshmallow filling was very hard to work with and I actually thought it wouldn't be edible, but work through with it and it will pay off! I sprayed my hands with pam to keep it from sticking to my hands while trying to evenly spread it on the cake without tearing up the cake)

No comments:

Post a Comment