Thursday, January 24, 2013

Balsamic Braised Mushrooms with Couscous


So now that it's almost the end of January already I have one question. How are those healthy new years resolutions coming?

Tossed out the window January 2nd?! Woo, i'm not alone!

If anyone's read my blog lately they will see that I have definitely not been eating healthy lately.

My diets become filled with sugar, butter, cream and fat. Healthy right?




So that's why I thought it might be good to start making some healthier dishes, every once and a while at least.

Like this dish filled with braised mushrooms and couscous. Seriously, it doesn't even taste like health food, it's that good.

Now i'm a big veggie lover, especially mushrooms, and I absolutely loved this dish! My mom and brother don't like mushrooms and while this dish didn't pass the test for them, my dad enjoyed it as well. So at least I wasn't the only one who liked it.


Another upside to this dish is that it's very easy to make. It takes less than 20 minutes total to make which makes it perfect to whip up after a long day.

No excuses not to be healthy with dishes like this. Not even that delicious cake in the fridge with your name on it...


Balsamic Braised Mushrooms with Couscous

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

Ingredients

Couscous cooked according to package
8 ounces mushrooms
2 tbls olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the seasonings and balsamic vinegar, lower the heat and let simmer about 5-10 minutes. Serve over the couscous and enjoy!

Here's how I cook couscous. In a small saucepan bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 cup of couscous and turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes, letting the couscous absorb the water. Once absorbed fluff with a fork and season to your liking. I use garlic salt for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment