Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pork Chops with Whiskey Onion Gravy

What a beautiful day it was here in Austin! 

The sun was finally shining, it got up into the 60 degree range, oh a great change from the cold rainy days we've been having!

Don't get me wrong, I love cold rainy days... just when I don't have to go anywhere. I just want to hibernate in that sort of weather.

Today however, I was ready to go!



Which meant I had a very productive day of getting some not so pleasant chores out of the way, and  some shopping therapy.


I also made these amazing pork chops with whiskey onion gravy.

True southern deliciousness right here.


This meal was one of those meals that I just threw all together and hoped for the best, and I can honestly say it was better than I expected! Rich and comforting, it reminded me of what my mom used to make sometimes when I was younger. 


I must warn all of you that these measurements are pure estimation. I almost never measure out ingredients in my cooking, so bare with me! I promise you though you should try this out, it's a great easy recipe!

Pork Chops with Whiskey Onion Gravy

(A SarahEatsAustin original)

Ingredients

4 pork chop cuts of meat
1 medium onion
1 tbls olive oil
enough flour to coat pork chops
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup whiskey
2 tbls flour
1 cup heavy cream

Directions

Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until they start to brown, about 10 minutes.

While the onions are cooking, season your pork chops with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
Once the onions are brown add the pork chops to the pan and brown both sides, and mostly cooked. Once the chops have cooked most of the way, remove to a separate plate and start making the gravy.

Lower the heat to medium low. With the onions still in the pan, de-glaze the pan with the whiskey and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon or spatula to get all the yummy pieces that are stuck to the bottom up.

Pour in the heavy cream and stir to combine. Add black pepper to taste, I like about 2 tsp of pepper in mine, then add in the 2 tbls of flour to make the roux. You can add more flour if you like thicker gravy. Lower heat to low and continue cooking for about 1 minute. Add the pork chops back in the pan, cover with a lid, and let simmer for about 10 minutes, to finish cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment