Thursday, May 2, 2013

Shrimp and Cheddar Grits

I've lived in the south my whole life, but shrimp and grits was never one of those meals we just had all the time.

In fact, the first time I had shrimp and grits was when I made it myself a couple of years ago. Maybe it was because my mom doesn't like seafood, or maybe it's more of a Louisiana creole southern thing instead of a Texas thing.




I was missing out though. This stuff is is addicting. Creamy gravy with shrimp covering a bed of warm gooey cheesy grits. Yeah, i'm in. 


And before I forget, i'm very sorry for my lack of pasts lately, finals and work are going to kill me, (not to mention my ever expanding belly) but i'm planning on doing a whole lot more cooking once summer's here and I have more time!


Enjoy my friends!

Shrimp and Cheddar Grits

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

Ingredients

1 lb uncooked peeled de-veined shrimp
3-4 slices bacon
2 tbls butter 
1 onion
1 green bell pepper, optional
3-4 tbls flour
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1-2 tsp red chili powder
1-2 tsp mustard powder
1-2 tsp chili powder
green onions for garnish


prepared grits, enough for 4 servings
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
2 tbls butter
2 tbls cream cheese
garlic salt to taste

Directions

In a medium saute pan cook bacon until crispy and set aside, leaving the bacon fat in the pan. Add in the butter and melt. Add in 2 tbls flour and stir, cooking to make a brown roux. Once butter and flour is dark in color, brown roux, add in onions, and bell pepper if using, and sweat until translucent.
Meanwhile combine 1 tbls flour, and the seasonings in a large bowl and coat the shrimp with it.
Add the shrimp mixture to the pan and cook until white and tender. Add in wine and chicken stock and simmer for about 1 minute.

Cook grits according to package instructions. Right after it's done, while it's still really hot, add in butter, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and garlic salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is melted and fully incorporated.

Spoon grits onto a plate and gently spoon over the shrimp and gravy. Garnish with bacon and green onions and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment