Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Tart

I swear i'm turning into a hypochondriac.

The last time I went to the dentist they told me my gums were receding a little on some of my teeth, and lately I swear it's gotten worse. Gross I know.

They didn't have any explanation why they were receding, they just are. Everything else was fine though.



After doing some research I found that sometime in woman when they have hormonal imbalances it results in receding gums, which to me seems the most logical explanation. I mean, I keep my teeth pretty clean. 

Was that more than ya'll wanted to know? My bad. 


Honestly, now that school is done with for the semester and i'm not working anymore I think i'm going a little crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love waking up late everyday, not having to worry about anything, or even having to do anything at all. It's a wonderful break.

But all i've been doing is cooking, working out, and worrying about my teeth. Obsession is setting in.


It's not all bad though. I suppose the working out is making up for all the delicious food i've been cooking. 

I still feel lazy though. I mean, I keep busy, I cannot stand not doing something, but the constant nagging feeling of "you need to get a job and contribute you lazy" still stays in my head.

But i'm going to relax a little longer while I still can.


Anyway, this tart is good. If you like blue cheese and onions you will love this. Even if you're not the biggest fan I think you will like it, I mean everyone in my family ate this and my mom and brother don't even really care for blue cheese that much!

I however cannot get enough of the stuff, so of course I ate most of it before tehy even got a taste.


So if you've had enough of my random talkings go make this tart!

Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Tart

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

Ingredients

1 Prebaked tart dough (Recipe follows)
4 oz blue cheese (whatever brand you like)
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 tbls olive oil
1 tsp garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 stalks green onion

Directions

Preheat oven to 410F.
To start, heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat, add in the onion and cook over medium low until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. (Tip: Make your tart dough while caramelizing the onions to save time.)
Right before the onions are done add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.
Season with salt and pepper and spread evenly over the bottom of your tart dough. Sprinkle the blue cheese evenly over the top of the onions and bake for about 10-15 minutes. If the cheese isn't golden and delicious yet turn the broiler on high and watch carefully until desired melty ooey gooedness.


Tart Dough
(Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz)

3 tbls butter
1 tbls olive oil
3-4 tbls water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic paste
1 heaping cup flour
1 tbls rosemary

Directions

Preheat oven to 410F.
Combine the butter, oil, water, salt and sugar in a small pot over medium heat. Cook until bubbling and fragrant. Add in garlic and let cook 1 minute longer.
Turn off heat and quickly dump in flour and rosemary and stir until dough comes together in a ball and pulls away from the sides.
Once cool enough to work with, press into tart pan and up the sides. Prick with a fork all along the bottom, then place in an oven to bake for 10-15 minutes, until it starts getting brown.

**Notes: Most people weigh down their tart doughs whilst baking so that it doesn't bubble up in the middle. I'm lazy and don't do this, but it's never bubbled up on me before. If you want to weigh it down though, just line the bottom with parchment paper or foil and fill with beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment