Wednesday, May 15, 2013

White Cheddar Mac and Cheese

Is there anything better than mac and cheese?

Seriously, in my opinion, it is the ultimate comfort food.




Warm, gooey, cheesy, and creamy. If pasta and cheese doesn't make you happy I don't know what will.

Whenever I don't know what to make mac and cheese always pops up in my head, and I have to beat that thought with a stick because well, my thighs don't like it so much.

But you know what? Every once in a while I like to indulge. I make macaroni and cheese and fill it with way too much butter and cheese than is healthy for any person to consume in a week, and I enjoy every last bite.


Why not?

Oh and by the way, school is done and I passed all my classes. Whatup summer! I'm ready for some fun!




White Cheddar Mac and Cheese

(Recipe by Sarah Eats Austin)

Ingredients

16 oz small pasta shells
5 tbls butter
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup flour
4 cups milk (I used 2%)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 cups white cheddar, plus 1/2 cup more for topping
1/4 smoked gouda
1/4 smoked colby cheddar
1 cup panko bread crumbs

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted boiling water to a boil and cook the pasta shells according to package instructions.
In a separate pot bring the 4 cups of milk to almost a boil.
Meanwhile melt the butter in a skillet and add in garlic. Cook for about 1 minute then add in flour to make a roux. Cook only until golden then add in the milk 1 cup at a time until incorporated. Let cook over medium for about 10 minutes. The mixture will thicken just a little bit. Add in the garlic powder and paprika and stir to combine. Then add in the cheeses and stir until it's all melted. 
Pour the pasta shells into the sauce and gently stir to evenly coat. 
Pour into a baking dish then top with panko and extra 1/2 cup white cheddar. Place under the broiler until top is golden and crunchy.

1 comment:

  1. *drool*

    I am always on the lookout for a new mac and cheese recipe, and this one looks amazing! It's similar to my old standby, but with more interesting cheeses.

    ReplyDelete